Through the course of a conversation with a colleague where we were discussing the image on the logo, I was encouraged to ask the police chief directly about it. I had never spoken to the chief before and this f elt like it was a little outside of my comfort zone. I didn’t know what to expect b ut I sent him an email anyway. He responded quickly and we set up a meeting. The question I had asked him via email was, “What would it take to facilitate Y PD ending their use of a Native American face and headdress as a logo on their patches, uniforms, etc .?” It was a short meeting and he was friendly and easy to talk to so please don’t take this campaign to be an attack on the police, Mr. Murray , or the City as an organization . However, the content of our conversation only increased my determination and certainty that more needed to be done besides just asking the question. T he points he made in defense of the continued use of the image on the logo were fairly standard cultu...
The name Yakima originates from the Yakama Nation Native American tribe. It's nothing derogatory like Washington Red Skins. They should keep it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment. I certainly agree that the name is not the derogatory part. If you can clarify, it seems as though you are referring to the name of the City of Yakima and aren't referring to the actual logo image. Is that correct? If so, this isn't a campaign to change the name of the city but to remove the Native man in a headdress image from the Yakima police department logo.
Delete